Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

When last we left our heroine (woman in distress...this is not a substance abuse post) she was blogging on and on about her diet, but alas she was seduced by a whirlwind of holiday goodies that held her hostage and forbade her from blogging or worse...gasp...losing weight. But she's back. On track. And ready to make 2009 the Year of the Bikini. Oh sure, that's unthinkable right now...but come July or August...a bikini could be a possibility.

But it's a new year and I've been thinking, as I often do in new year's. This isn't just a weight loss story...it's a food story. It's about my philosophy about food, my thoughts about food, my approach to food. And I want to make some changes this year in those areas. My goal for 2009 isn't going to just be losing weight, but also to eat a more locally grown, sustainable, and seasonal menu. I would like to remove processed foods from my family's diet to the largest degree possible, and to replace them with as much made-from-scratch food as time and motivation allow.

The reasons for this aren't just health-related, although that's certainly a worthy goal. But I'm also looking at this from a budget viewpoint and the desire to increase the simplicity of our lives. I relish the thought of teaching my daughter to make homemade applesauce in the fall and jam when there is a bumper crop of strawberries at our local farmer's market in the summer. These aren't things that have to come from a jar, and I'm betting there will be a great deal of satisfaction that comes about from making them ourselves, not to mention that eating seasonally is also good for one's health and one's pocketbook.

And so, these are a few of the areas I would like to focus on as I cut calories throughout 2009. I would like to choose smaller portions of delicious, healthy seasonal food as opposed to larger portions of processed foods that are not as healthy as they should be. Sounds like a challenge, hey?

No comments: