Saturday, September 27, 2008

Party Pooper


What was I thinking? I have a dinner party I'm hosting tonight and here I am starting a new diet! But this is just the kind of obstacle I need to learn how to deal with. I have no intention of giving up dinner parties, so I'm going to have to figure out how to host a fabulous party and not go overboard eating-wise. Hmmmm...I hear that word "moderation" again in the back of my mind. I tweaked my menu yesterday and scratched off a calorie-laden appetizer of mushroom bruchetta (a variety of mushrooms sauteed in in butter and vermouth then mounded on crostini and topped with shaved fontinella before being put under the broiler to brown) and removed the scalloped potatoes with bacon that I was going to make in individual ramekins. Instead I opted to serve a pork roast with a warm, Greek-style couscous (adding feta, artichokes, a splash of sherry vinegar, caramelized onions, and some roasted red peppers) that I think will be just as a delicious. But my conundrum doesn't end there! I have an invitation to a friend's for dinner tomorrow night and she's one of the most amazing cooks I know! I'm quite certain she's planning to start off with bellini's too - my new most favortie drink. So what to do? For starters, I think I'll do a light breakfast of non-fat Greek yogurt with fruit, hot tea, and a drizzle of honey. Then I'll skip lunch in order to be able to enjoy a bellini, and then I'll fill up on the healthiest parts of the meal. I can easily skip dessert since sugar isn't my drug of choice usually anyway (oh yes, I love my chocolate...but my real high comes when I mainline carbs).

Homemade oven-roasted tomatoes that I will pair with fresh-baked croutons for a salad of mixed lettuces and herbs, walnuts, and shaved parmesan.


Cheese platter - perfect to serve with wine when guests arrive and something I can easily pass up without being obvious about my dieting.

No comments: