Friday, September 26, 2008

Getting Started

Food is who I am, and cooking is what I do. It's the thing I think about first thing in the morning and when I go to sleep at night I'm planning future meals in my mind. Food has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I can remember sitting at the kitchen table with my Greek mom and grandmother filling and folding tiropites (yummy, buttery cheese pies). Pan after pan would be made and then frozen, to be pulled out and used during the coming months for company. I've worked in restaurants and catering for many of my adult years, and have done it all from washing dishes, to being a line cook, to training and management - and everything in between. But now I'm a stay-at-home mom who turned 40 last year, and pretty much my life is perfect. Oh yeah, except for the fact that I'm overweight, which is really strange for me still. In other words, this is a relatively new phenomena for me. I started getting fat 3 years ago when my husband and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon, and I have been gaining weight ever since. I catch glimpses of myself and I am shocked every time. I think of myself as I looked 10 years ago, which of course is a brutal joke my mind plays on me every time I walk past a mirror. So I've come to this realization that even though I'm a foodie and I love all things delicious, it's time to use my kitchen skills to save my health and my figure. It's time to use food to lose, hence the title of my blog, Cooking for Losers. So come along for the ride with me - I promise adventure, great recipes and weighing-in on a variety of health-related topics. What I promise NOT to include is anything radical. You'll find no meat-laden Atkins meals here, and I'm done with eating cabbage soup morning, noon and night. Yes, there will be pasta dishes sprinkled throughout, but precious little refined sugar. That's right...shock of shocks...I'm going to try out that whole "moderation" thing I keep hearing about. Crazy, I know, but it's worth a shot.

No comments: